Harare's Hidden Gem: Ambassador Hotel Unveiled!

New Ambassador Hotel Harare Zimbabwe

New Ambassador Hotel Harare Zimbabwe

Harare's Hidden Gem: Ambassador Hotel Unveiled!

Harare's Ambassador Hotel: Unveiled! (A Review - and a Confession)

Okay, let’s be honest. I’ve been to Harare. Twice. And both times, I’d missed out on this, THE Ambassador Hotel. Let's just say, I felt like I found the last piece of a puzzle I didn't know I was missing. Now, before you roll your eyes and think "another hotel review," hear me out. This isn't just a review; it's a confession. A confession that I almost missed this gem.

The First Impression: Accessibility (and a Near Disaster - My Fault!)

First things first: Accessibility. (SEO Keyword alert!) This is HUGE for me. I’m not disabled, thank goodness, but I hate hotels that feel like they're built for mountain goats. Ambassador Hotel, thankfully, seems to actually care. They've got an elevator, which is vital (seriously, stairs are the bane of my existence after a long flight). The facilities for disabled guests are clearly thought out (I spotted a ramp, a definite win), and the exterior corridor leading to the rooms are pretty decent. They definitely get a gold star from me on that.

Now, a brief, embarrassing anecdote: I arrived at the hotel, utterly jet-lagged, and nearly walked into a potted palm. My brain was fried. The doorman, bless his heart, caught me before I ate the plant. Talk about a first impression! He was an absolute lifesaver. The Doorman is friendly, the person who checked me in with the Check-in/out [express] was efficient. And the front desk [24-hour] saved my bacon more than once throughout my stay.

Rooms: Comfort & Quirks (and a Mini Bar that Almost Broke Me)

The rooms (available in all sizes, as far as I could see), are comfy, let me tell you. I got a non-smoking room - a must for me, and there's also options for interconnecting rooms, so I assume they are ready for your big family vacation. Everything was spotless, clean, and well-maintained. Daily housekeeping kept things tidy. The bed was comfy, not too soft, not too hard, perfect for a good night's sleep. I'm a sucker for a complimentary tea, especially when I reach for a desk.

Now, for the mini-bar. Oh, the legendary mini-bar! It's a tempting trap, I'll admit. Full of delightful, overpriced goodies. (I may or may not have indulged in a late-night chocolate bar… or two…) But, it did have free bottled water!. What else did the room offer? Alarm clock, Air Conditioning which is a MUST, a bathrobes, bathroom phone, comfy bathtub, blackout curtains (thank goodness for those!), carpeting, closet to stow all the clothes. The coffee/tea maker made morning enjoyable. There were desk, extra-long bed, hair dryer, in-room safe box, internet access – wireless, ironing facilities, laptop workspace, linens, mirror, non-smoking, on-demand movies, private bathroom, reading light, refrigerator, safety/security feature, satellite/cable channels, seating area, separate shower/bathtub, shower, slippers, smoke detector, socket near the bed, sofa, soundproofing, telephone, toiletries, towels, umbrella, visual alarm, wake-up service, Wi-Fi [free], and a window that opens. Okay, enough of the list, the room was great!

The Spa (And My Attempt at Zen… Failed)

Okay, the Spa/Sauna were amazing. I'm a sucker for a good spa. I booked myself a massage, and I felt the work stress and the airplane stiffness just melt away. They also do Body wraps and body scrubs if you need one of those. I didn't try a foot bath or use the Steamroom, but the Sauna was a godsend. They have a Pool with a view, that's definitely worth checking out.

Dining (Fueling the Wanderer!)

Let's talk food. I'm a foodie, and I was expecting bland hotel fare. I was so wrong! They've got multiple restaurants on site, including a Vegetarian restaurant. The Asian cuisine in restaurant was really good! You can grab a salad in restaurant, or soup in restaurant, for a lighter meal. The Breakfast [buffet] was a feast – and I am a buffet enthusiast! (I have no shame). They offer an Asian breakfast. And a full Western breakfast, too, just for the purists. Plus, they have a breakfast takeaway service, which is perfect if you're in a rush. I took advantage of the room service [24-hour]. The coffee/tea in restaurant was perfect and there's a Desserts in restaurant! The Poolside bar is a great place to relax, and they also offer a Snack bar. The bar is pretty cool as well.

Cleanliness & Safety: Feeling Secure (and Spoiled)

This is important to me, particularly with everything going on. They've clearly amped up their game. Anti-viral cleaning products, Daily disinfection in common areas, rooms sanitized between stays, and staff is trained in safety protocols, including physical distancing of at least 1 meter. They have hand sanitizer available everywhere, which makes me feel so much better. They are also very professional, with professional-grade sanitizing services, and sterilizing equipment. They even let me room sanitization opt-out available.

Internet & Connectivity: Stay Connected (and Netflix-Ready!)

Yes, there’s Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! (SEO Keyword alert!). A lifesaver. The Internet itself was reliable, which is a huge win! They’ve also got Internet [LAN] if you prefer a wired connection.

Things to Do/Ways To Relax (Beyond the Spa)

The pool swimming pool [outdoor] is AMAZING. I spent a few hours in there which was great! A must. They also have a Fitness center if you feel like being virtuous. They have great Meeting/banquet facilities, and the staff are ready to help you with Meetings, and a Seminar. There's also a gift/souvenir shop.

Services & Conveniences: Above and Beyond (Seriously)

This place is brimming with it. They offer things like air conditioning in public area, cash withdrawal, concierge, contactless check-in/out, convenience store, currency exchange, daily housekeeping, doorman, dry cleaning, elevator, facilities for disabled guests, food delivery, gift/souvenir shop, indoor venue for special events, invoice provided, ironing service, laundry service, luggage storage, meeting/banquet facilities, outdoor venue for special events, safety deposit boxes, staff trained in safety protocol, smoke alarms, taxi service, and valet parking. The Babysitting service is a godsend for families. Car park [free of charge]. I could go on, honestly.

For the Kids: (Family-Friendly Fun!)

Family/child friendly is another huge plus. I am not a parent, but I saw lots of happy families. They have Kids facilities, and a Babysitting service! They also provide kids meal.

Getting Around:

They have a car park [free of charge] and available airport transfer.

Areas for Possible Improvement (Because, Honestly, Nothing's Perfect)

Okay, I have to be honest. The decor is a little… traditional. Not bad, just not super modern. And sometimes, the service, while friendly, felt a tiny, tiny bit slow during peak times. But honestly, these are nitpicks.

The Verdict: Go. Just Go.

Ambassador Hotel is a hidden gem. It's clean, comfortable, accessible, the staff are fantastic, and the food is delicious. It's the kind of place that makes you slow down, breathe, and – dare I say it – enjoy your trip. I felt relaxed here. I felt safe. I felt pampered.

My Confession (Again):

I arrived at the hotel, a little stressed. I left feeling rejuvenated. The near-palm-tree incident barely registered, because I was so wrapped up in the overall experience. This hotel deserves to know that they gave me the perfect vacation.

SEO-Powered Call to Action (and a Compelling Offer!)

Harare Hotels: Stop Scrolling! Discover the Ambassador Hotel – Your Perfect Harare Getaway! Are you searching for hotels in Harare with free Wi-Fi and a touch of luxury? Look no further! The Ambassador Hotel offers wheelchair accessible rooms, a relaxing spa, delicious dining options, and top-notch service. Craving Harare accommodation that

Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge: Unbelievable Safari Awaits!

Book Now

New Ambassador Hotel Harare Zimbabwe

New Ambassador Hotel Harare Zimbabwe

Alright, hold onto your hats (and mosquito repellent, seriously), because we're about to dive headfirst into my messy, wonderful, probably slightly caffeinated adventure at the New Ambassador Hotel in Harare, Zimbabwe. This isn't your perfectly curated Instagram travel fantasy; this is the real deal, warts and all. Buckle up!

Day 1: Arrival & That First Harare Hug (Probably Because I Was Jetlagged)

  • Morning (ish): Landed at Harare International. The air? Thick, humid, and carrying the scent of something I think was jasmine and something else…probably dust. Immigration was a surprisingly cheerful affair. The agent actually laughed at my (terrible) attempt at Shona. Score one for Zimbabwean charm!
  • Afternoon: The New Ambassador. Gorgeous, actually. The old-school vibe is totally charming – slightly faded grandeur, you know? Checked in. My room? Okay. Smaller than I expected, but hey, at least the bed looks comfy. Important Note: immediately tested the bed. It passed. Vital for survival.
  • Afternoon (cont.): Wandered around the hotel, feeling like a lost puppy. Found the pool – sparkling blue, definitely a good omen. Ordered a local beer (Castle Lager! So crisp!). Sat by the pool, sunglasses on, jetlag hitting me like a ton of bricks. Everything seemed surreal… the sun, the hotel’s architecture, and the slightly amused glances from the other guests. Maybe this trip was a huge mistake? Nah. Just a tiny, totally manageable, possibly-overwrought-with-emotion beginning.
  • Evening: Dinner at the hotel restaurant. The food? Surprisingly good. Had the grilled chicken - simple, perfect. The waiter was delightful, constantly smiling and full of little local tidbits. He told me about the history of the hotel, which was fascinating. The old place holds stories, you can feel it, and it smells vaguely of old money and hope. It’s the kind of place where you imagine a spy had one too many whiskeys and lost his secrets.
  • Night: Fell asleep immediately. Like, face-planted-on-the-pillow immediately. Jetlag won. The best part? Found a tiny gecko on the wall. Welcomed my little buddy to the room. Named him Geoffrey.

Day 2: Market Mayhem & the Mysterious Mr. Chiweshe

  • Morning: Breakfast. Meh. Standard hotel fare. But the coffee? Strong enough to wake the dead. Necessary for a tourist!
  • Morning (cont.): Decided to be adventurous. Went to Mbare Musika market. Holy moly. Sensory overload. The colours, the smells, the sheer noise of it all. Bargaining for souvenirs was an art form. I probably paid way too much for a wooden carving of a giraffe, but the vendor had the most charming eyes. Totally worth it! Lost Geoffrey for good.
  • Afternoon: This is where it gets interesting. Met a local artist named Mr. Chiweshe. He was selling his stone sculptures near a smaller craft market. His work was stunning – raw, powerful, full of emotion. We talked for hours, mostly about art and life. He described his work as telling the stories of his tribe. I bought one of his pieces. Expensive, but felt right. He gave me his contact number and said I could visit his workshop if I was interested. I said yes, of course!
  • Evening: Back at the hotel. Couldn't stop thinking about Mr. Chiweshe's art. His passion was contagious. Feeling a deep sense of awe and wonder. Also, slightly overwhelmed. Decided to skip dinner, because I needed to process everything. Ended up pacing the hotel room for an hour. Then, collapsed on the bed in a fit of indecision. Should I go back? Did I even understand anything? I should have asked for clarification! I’m a fool!
  • Night: Went back to Mbare Musika, in the dark. Just for a walk. The market was very different at night. Mostly empty. Scary. Definitely not recommended for solo female tourists. Managed to get out unscathed. Learned a valuable life lesson. (And nearly had a heart attack).
  • Late Night: Found myself on the balcony staring at the stars. Harare nights are exceptionally dark. Just me and a cricket. Wrote a journal entry completely in capital letters. Decided to sleep with the lights on.

Day 3: The National Gallery & a Sudden Craving for Sadza

  • Morning: Museum! The National Gallery of Zimbabwe. Absolutely amazing. Saw some incredible contemporary art. So much more than I was expecting. Spent way too long in front of one particular painting, some abstract piece of color and emotion. It made me feel… something. Maybe sadness? Maybe hope? Definitely a feeling. The gallery coffee was, surprisingly, excellent.
  • Afternoon: Wandered around the city center. The buildings are a mix of colonial architecture and modern developments. Harare is a city of layers and contradictions, absolutely fascinating. Ran into a bit of unexpected torrential downpour. Took shelter under a storefront awning.
  • Afternoon (cont.): Had an intense sudden craving for Sadza and chicken (the local staple). Hunted down a small, local restaurant. The food was delicious. People stared. But they smiled.
  • Evening: Back at the hotel. Felt the slight, creeping anxiety of being "on vacation" at all the wrong times. Also, was suddenly craving some solitude.
  • Night: Ordered room service. Ate my mediocre burger while watching the local news. Thought about Mr. Chiweshe's artwork. Realized I was going back to his workshop. I hope no one knows where I am.

Day 4: The Art of Stone and Tears (A LOT of Tears)

  • Morning: Woke up with a purpose. Went to Mr. Chiweshe's workshop.
  • Morning (cont.): It was a small place, dusty, filled with the scent of stone. Met his family. They were incredibly welcoming. Mr. Chiweshe showed me how he carves. The way he caresses the stone, feeling for the lines, letting the art guide him…it was like watching a dance.
  • Afternoon: He told me more about his work, about the stories he tried to tell. His passion was absolutely consuming. He helped me try to carve my own little stone (mine looked like a lumpy blob).
  • Afternoon (cont.): Then, he told me more. About life, about loss, about hardship. About hope. The stories were gut-wrenching. I started crying. I cried a lot. He just smiled. The tears kept coming. He gave me a cigarette. I don’t smoke. But I smoked that cigarette. I feel so… exposed. But good.
  • Evening: Back at the hotel, completely wrung out. The weight of the stories, the beauty of the art, the kindness I'd found… it was a lot. The lumpy blob of stone still sits on my desk.
  • Night: Ate a whole chocolate bar. Watched the sky turn black. Realized this wasn’t just a trip; it was something more.

Day 5: Departure & a Promise

  • Morning: Breakfast. Stared out the window. Packing. The joy of travel is almost never the 'places' but the moments.
  • Afternoon: Checked out of the New Ambassador. Said goodbye to the friendly staff. Already miss the hotel, the little gecko (Geoffrey, wherever he is), the quiet beauty.
  • Afternoon (cont.): Headed to the airport. The departure felt bittersweet.
  • Evening: On the plane. Looking out the window at the clouds. I’m not a perfect person. This wasn't a perfect trip. I've made mistakes, felt awkward, cried a lot. More than in any other trip. But I have seen beauty everywhere, I had a small connection with the other side of the world, and I have grown. I'm changed.
  • Night: Promised myself I would return. And I would not take this for granted. I'll practice my Shona and try to find Geoffrey. Maybe, just maybe, this mess of an adventure was the best trip I've ever taken. Maybe.

So there you have it. Harare, the New Ambassador, Mr. Chiweshe, and all the beautifully messy bits in between. Don't expect perfection; expect reality. Take the leap. You might just surprise yourself.

Unbelievable Coral Reefs Hidden in Tenerife's Los Silos!

Book Now

New Ambassador Hotel Harare Zimbabwe

New Ambassador Hotel Harare Zimbabwe

Harare's Ambassador Hotel: Secrets Unveiled (and Sometimes Questioned!)

What's the big deal? Why should I even care about the Ambassador Hotel?

Alright, alright, settle down. Look, it's not the Ritz, okay? Forget the glitz. The Ambassador Hotel... it's a *vibe*. It's a Harare institution, a whisper of history clinging to the walls. Think faded elegance meets… let's say, “character.” You come here not for the perfect thread count sheets, but for the stories. For the feeling you’re stepping *into* Harare, not just staying *in* some generic hotel. Honestly, if you want pristine, go to the Rainbow Towers. But if you want *authentic*… well, maybe give this place a shot. Just be prepared for… anything.

Is it actually a "hidden gem," or just… hidden? Like, hard to find?

Okay, good point. "Hidden gem" might be pushing it. It's definitely *there* - right in the city center, practically spitting distance from the Africa Unity Square. You can't *physically* hide it. More like… it’s hidden in plain sight, you know? It's not one of those towering skyscrapers that screams "LOOK AT ME!" It sort of… blends in. Unless, that is, you're looking for that slightly chipped paint and that… *unique* aroma that old buildings tend to develop. (I’m being deliberately vague here. Let’s just say it’s… distinctive.)

The rooms… are they… clean?

Right. The elephant in the room, or rather, the slightly-dusty elephant in the, well, *room*. Let’s be real. Don't expect surgical levels of cleanliness. They *try*. They really do. I stayed there once, and I'm *still* questioning whether I saw a tiny family of dust bunnies under the bed. Look, it’s not a five-star experience. But after a long day in the city, and having had a few too many drinks I honestly didn't notice much, or care. They're functional. They have beds. They have... *a certain charm*... okay, fine, they're not spotless. BRING YOUR OWN SANITISER. Seriously. You'll thank me later.

What about the food? Is the restaurant worth it?

Okay, the food... Ah, the food. This is where things get interesting. The restaurant. I've had some truly *memorable* experiences there. One time, I ordered the chicken. It came out… well, I'm not entirely sure what it came out *as*. Let's just say it had a texture. An *unusual* texture. But you know what? The staff were lovely. Genuinely, genuinely lovely. And the beer was cold. And the atmosphere… well, it was a *vibe*, again. You might meet a local with a fascinating story, or the waitress who seems to know everyone. It's hit or miss, the food. But the people… the people make it worth it. Bring your appetite. And possibly some antacids. (Just kidding...mostly).

Is the staff friendly?

OH MY GOODNESS, YES! The staff are the lifeblood of the Ambassador. Seriously, they’re fantastic. They're the true reason to go! They're like family. You'll probably get chatting to someone at reception who's worked there for *decades*. They'll know the city inside and out. They're what makes the place tick. One time, I was having a truly appalling day, and the barman (a lovely chap called Brian, I think) gave me a free shot of something… strong. And listened to me moan for an hour. The staff are… they're *gold*. They make you feel welcome. They make you feel *seen*. They save this hotel. Seriously, tip generously. They deserve it.

What's the history like? Is there anything *cool* about it besides just being old?

Ah, the history. That's where things get really good. The Ambassador's been around for ages. Think post-independence vibes. Think political discussions over lukewarm tea. Think… secret meetings, maybe? I've heard rumors. Little whispers. Who knows what walls have heard? The lobby feels like it's seen a thousand dramas. The architecture itself has character. It feels like a slice of the past. I am not kidding! And the history is probably the biggest draw, for me.

Transportation and location, is it easy to get around?

Absolutely! The Ambassador Hotel's location is prime. You are right in the thick of it, in downtown Harare. This means you're a short walk from absolutely everything: markets, government buildings, shops, a decent cafe or two. Taxis are always available, local transport is at your fingertips. If you want to get to the National Gallery, a cab will take you there in no time. This is a real selling point, especially for first-time visitors to Harare or people trying to get a feel for the city's soul.

Is it safe? I’ve heard… things… about Harare.

Alright. Safety. This is important. Harare, like any big city, has its issues. Use common sense. Don't flash your cash. Be aware of your surroundings, especially at night. The hotel itself is usually quite secure. They have security. But – I’m not going to lie and pretend it's perfectly safe. I would exercise caution. Don't wander around alone late at night. Take a taxi. Trust your gut. If something feels off, it probably is. But staying *at* the Ambassador itself? It’s no more unsafe than, say, walking around at night in London or New York. Just… be smart. And, honestly, the staff are good at looking out for people.

Okay, so, final verdict? Should I stay there?

Here’s the deal. If you're expecting a luxury experience, run. Run far, far away. But if you're adventurous? If you're looking for something *different*? If you want a taste of real Harare, warts and all? Then yes. Absolutely yes. Go. Lower your expectations, raise your curiosity, and pack some hand sanitizer. You might not have theCozy Stay Spots

New Ambassador Hotel Harare Zimbabwe

New Ambassador Hotel Harare Zimbabwe

New Ambassador Hotel Harare Zimbabwe

New Ambassador Hotel Harare Zimbabwe