**Capital O Mimi Del Mar: Your Paradise Awaits in Playa del Carmen!**
Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because we're diving headfirst into a review of Capital O Mimi Del Mar: Your Paradise Awaits in Playa del Carmen! It's gonna be real, it's gonna be messy, and hopefully, it'll help you decide if this place is your next escape. And trust me, I've been known to chase a butterfly or two down a rabbit hole when it comes to a good hotel review. So, let's get started:
The Promise: Paradise in Playa del Carmen… Does it Deliver? (Spoiler Alert: Mostly, Yeah!)
The tagline Your Paradise Awaits sets a high bar. Playa del Carmen already is pretty darn close to paradise, so Mimi Del Mar needs to bring its A-game.
First Impressions & Accessibility - Getting In & Getting Around:
I'll be honest, I’m usually a hot mess with directions. So, finding the hotel was already a mini-triumph for me. It’s surprisingly easy to spot, and that's a plus.
Accessibility: While the hotel does advertise "Facilities for disabled guests," I would highly recommend you contact them directly and ask specific questions. This is crucial. I don’t have personal experience with wheelchair accessibility, but "facilities" can mean drastically different things. Make certain you get the specifics on ramps, elevators, room accessibility (bathroom especially!), and any limitations. Don't assume; ask.
Getting Around: Once inside, getting around felt pretty straightforward. Elevators are key (again, confirm if you need them!). The location itself is excellent for exploring Playa - close to the action but hopefully far enough away to avoid the all-night party scene (more on that later!).
Internet Access & Staying Connected (aka, My Lifeline):
Alright, let's get to the important stuff. Wi-Fi! The hotel boasts "Free Wi-Fi in all rooms!" Praise be! In the age of Instagram and doomscrolling, this is non-negotiable. And yes, I did confirm: Wi-Fi was free in all rooms as advertised. Okay, I can breathe now.
Internet: Generally, the internet speed was decent. I was able to stream videos, video call friends/family, and post all those envious vacation photos without too much buffering. However, be prepared for occasional hiccups. We're talking the occasional "spinning wheel of death" here. Nothing a quick reboot couldn’t fix, but just be aware. They do offer Internet [LAN], but let's be honest, who's using a LAN cable in 2024 unless they have to?
Things to Do, Ways to Relax, &… Let’s Talk Spa! (My Happy Place):
This is where Mimi Del Mar really shines.
- Swimming Pool: The Swimming pool [outdoor] is gorgeous. And the Pool with view is also fabulous! It’s a great place to unwind, take a dip, and sip on a margarita (more on that later).
- Fitness Center & Gym/Fitness: I peeked into the Fitness center. Nothing fancy, but it looked like it had the essentials. Treadmills, weight machines, the usual suspects. If you're a workout warrior, you'll probably be fine. If you're like me and treat exercise as a suggestion, then maybe stick to the pool.
- Spa/Sauna & Massage: Okay, now we're talking! The Spa area is dreamy. I spent an hour or two there, and let me tell you, it was pure bliss. They offer Body scrub and Body wrap treatments. Anecdote Time: I got the massage. They called it "The Tropical Bliss." It really lived up to the name. The masseuse was a pro, kneading away all the travel tension, leaving me feeling like a limp noodle in the best way possible. I'm still dreaming about it a week later. I even considered becoming a spa regular.
- Steamroom: Sadly I didn't get the chance to try the Steamroom or the Sauna.
- Foot Bath:: They had this… and it was a nice touch!
Cleanliness & Safety - A Worry in the Age of… Everything:
This is non-negotiable, especially post-pandemic. And Mimi Del Mar gets a solid A here.
- Cleanliness: Everything was spotless. My room was cleaned daily, and the staff clearly put a lot of effort into maintaining a high standard of hygiene.
- Safety: The hotel had plenty of Hand sanitizer available. They were actively practicing Daily disinfection in common areas. My room also had Room sanitization opt-out available, which is a great option for those who are super cautious (or want to keep their belongings untouched, which is totally valid).
- Anti-viral cleaning products were being used.
- Safety/security features: CCTV in common areas, Security [24-hour], Smoke alarms, and Fire extinguisher. They definitely take this seriously.
- Staff trained in safety protocol.
- Physical distancing of at least 1 meter.
- Safe dining setup was great, and Sanitized kitchen and tableware items
- Cashless payment service was available.
- Hygiene certification, I didn't find anything on the hotel, but that doesn't mean they were not compliant.
Dining, Drinking, & Snacking - Fueling the Fun:
Okay, food! This is where things get truly interesting.
- Restaurants: Yes, plural! There are Restaurants on site. The Breakfast [buffet] was plentiful and delicious. I sampled everything from Western breakfast to some of the local specialties. They had Coffee/tea in restaurant, which let me have a good start to the day
- Bar and Poolside bar: Yes, they have both! The Poolside bar is where I first sampled the margaritas. And then, the second one… and the third… Okay, I digress. The drinks are excellent, and the atmosphere is perfect for lounging around the pool.
- Snack bar and Coffee shop: perfect to have a snack mid-day.
- Asian cuisine in restaurant: I didn't get a chance to sample Asian cuisine within the hotel.
- Happy hour: the highlight of the day, even though I missed many of them.
- Desserts in restaurant, Salad in restaurant, Soup in restaurant.
- Room service [24-hour]: this is definitely a good thing! (especially after those margaritas).
Services & Conveniences - Making Life Easier:
- Concierge: The concierge was super helpful with recommendations for things to do in Playa del Carmen, booking excursions, and general assistance.
- Daily housekeeping: My room was always spotless.
- Laundry service & Ironing service: This is a lifesaver, especially if you're traveling light.
- Luggage storage: Very convenient if you have a late flight.
- Doorman: Always helpful.
- Currency exchange: Convenient!
For the Kids & Families:
- Family/child friendly: I saw plenty of families there, and it seemed like a good place for kids.
- Babysitting service: A good option if you want a night to yourselves.
- Kids meal: good option to add.
Rooms & Comforts - The Details That Matter:
Okay, let’s talk about the actual rooms.
- Air conditioning: Crucial in the Caribbean!
- Additional toilet.
- Available in all rooms: Air conditioning, Alarm clock, Bathrobes, Bathroom phone, Bathtub, Blackout curtains, Carpeting, Closet, Coffee/tea maker, Complimentary tea, Daily housekeeping, Desk, Extra long bed, Free bottled water, Hair dryer, High floor, In-room safe box, Interconnecting room(s) available, Internet access – LAN, Internet access – wireless, Ironing facilities, Laptop workspace, Linens, Mini bar, Mirror, Non-smoking, On-demand movies, Private bathroom, Reading light, Refrigerator, Safety/security feature, Satellite/cable channels, Scale, Seating area, Separate shower/bathtub, Shower, Slippers, Smoke detector, Socket near the bed, Sofa, Soundproofing, Telephone, Toiletries, Towels, Umbrella, Visual alarm, Wake-up service, Wi-Fi [free], Window that opens.
- Soundproof rooms: I didn't hear a peep from my neighbors or the street noise.
The Not-So-Perfect Bits (Because, Let's Be Real):
- Anecdote - The Noise: While the rooms are soundproofed, the hotel is in Playa. A little bit of street noise is unavoidable. If you're a super-light sleeper, bring earplugs, because the party can go late.
- The Breakfast Buffet (and the Crowds): The buffet was delicious, but it could get crowded during peak breakfast hours. Patience is a virtue, people!
- Pets allowed unavailable: this may be tricky for some!
**My Verdict - Should You Book?
São Paulo's Hidden Gem: Cinelandia Hotel's Unbelievable Luxury!
Alright, buckle up, buttercups, because we're about to dive headfirst into the gloriously chaotic reality of my Playa del Carmen adventure at Capital O Mimi Del Mar. No pristine travel blog here, just unfiltered me, dealing with sun, sand, and the inevitable existential dread of being on vacation.
Pre-Trip Shenanigans (Spoiler Alert: Mostly Packing)
- Day -3: The Panic Room That Is My Bedroom. Okay, packing. Let's be real, this is a pre-vacation sport. I stare at my closet, which is a black hole of indecision, and burst into tears. Do I need a sequined bikini? Absolutely not. Will I pack one anyway? Probably. Finally, I make a mountain of clothes I (probably) won't wear. Why do I do this to myself?
- Day -2: Sunscreen Armageddon & Bank Account Trauma. Sunscreen. The most vital, yet most irritating, part of the pre-vacation process. I buy enough SPF 50 to coat a small aircraft carrier, then realize I forgot to check the expiration dates (of course, it's all expired). Then, a horrifying look at my bank account. "Capital O Mimi Del Mar… that sounds expensive. And now I'm crying again.
- Day -1: The "Almost Forgot My Passport" Incident. Nearly every time, I'm wrestling with the panicked feeling of "did I forget the most important thing?" This time, it's the passport. Found it shoved in a drawer with a half-eaten bag of gummy bears. Close call.
The Playa Del Carmen Fiesta Begins (May Contain Excessive Whining)
Day 1: Arrival & Immediate Catastrophe. Landing in Cancun. Humidity hits me like a freight train. Jesus, it's hot! We find the shuttle - a repurposed school bus that smells faintly of stale air conditioning and desperation. But, FINALLY, we arrive at Capital O Mimi Del Mar. The lobby is cute, with a beachy chic vibe. My room, however, has a slight musty odor, and the AC sounds like a dying walrus. "Okay," I mutter, "It's the vibe."
Day 1, Afternoon: Beach Bliss (Mostly). We hit the beach. The ocean is that incredibly turquoise blue that makes you want to weep tears of utter joy. I actually do weep a little bit, but it's mostly sweat mixed with a tiny undercurrent of happiness. The sand is white and soft. Then a rogue wave smashes into me, and I swallow half the ocean. Oh, well….
Day 1, Evening: Food Poisoning It started as a slight tummy rumble. Then a series of unfortunate events unfolded, culminating in a full-blown war with the bathroom. I spent the night hugging the toilet, convinced I was dying. The "delicious" street tacos, I suspect. A dark, dark moment.
Day 2 (Revised): The Recovery & Mayan Ruins Quest. Well, I am still alive. The sun is relentless, and I’m still somewhat fragile from the bathroom incident. However, I am determined to experience. So, we venture out.
- The Quest begins!: "Chichen Itza or Tulum?" the eternal question. We took the bus to Tululm, so many people! I got a bit lost, I spent too long looking at the sea. I feel a bit of a fool. But oh my god it was so beautiful and I got to see the ruins. The water, the blue of the sea, amazing.
- Food poisoning still lingers: As I walk, I realize my stomach is not fully recovered and I have to head back, I am so embarrassed, the bathroom is a tiny hole in the wall. I am so sorry too.
Day 2, Evening: Dinner Disappointment & a Bit of Hope. Back in Playa, we are starving. We pick a highly-rated restaurant, and it’s gorgeous, but the food is bland and overpriced. I get a tiny slice of cheesecake. So sad! Back to the hotel room. "Hey, AC, can you try a bit harder, please?"
Day 3: Cenote Serenity & Existential Musings.
- Oh, my god!
- One of the most amazing things I have done in my life. In general, I have become incredibly introspective, and I am starting to doubt everything. I feel like I am in a dream. My trip is reaching its end, and I am not ready to leave.
Day 4: Shopping Spree & Meltdown.
- "Souvenirs! I MUST BUY ALL THE THINGS!" I charge into a tiny shop and start throwing things into my basket. Handmade soaps, brightly colored blankets, and a sombrero that definitely won't fit in my suitcase. The shop assistant is friendly. I'm trying to haggle, but I'm terrible.
Day 5: The Farewell & the Dread of Reality.
- Trying to make the most of the time, eat something, go to the beach one last time.
- The airport. The crowds. The lines. Then, the plane. As we take off, and I look at the blue, I feel a pang of sadness.
- Back to the real world, back to the mess. What if I left something great behind?
Observations:
- The People: So many friendly faces, especially the locals. The waiters are so attentive, the taxi drivers try to trick you, and I feel a little bit in love.
- The Food: The tacos are life-changing (when they don’t try to kill you).
- The Weather: Hot (very, very hot). Bring sunscreen. And something to fan yourself with.
- The Hotel: Capital O Mimi Del Mar is nice, considering. The "quirks" (the dying walrus AC) add to the 'charm' and the staff is nice.
Ultimately: Playa del Carmen, you were a whirlwind of sun, sand, and indigestion. I loved every chaotic, imperfect moment. Now, I need another vacation to recover. Oh, well.
Crimson Boracay: Paradise Found? (See Our Stunning Photos!)
Capital O Mimi Del Mar: FAQs... or, Me Rambling About Paradise (Mostly)
Okay, so... Is Mimi Del Mar *actually* paradise? Because, you know, marketing.
Ugh, marketing. Right? Look, I'm a cynical New Yorker, so I went in fully expecting a letdown. But... yeah, it's pretty damn close to paradise. Like, the kind of paradise where you can *actually* relax. I'm talking zero emails, sun on your face, and the sound of the ocean lulling you into a nap. But hold on... let me be real. My first impression? "Wow, this lobby is beautiful. And... wait, where's my room?" The check-in process was a *tad* slow (blame the tequila the night before - not Mimi's fault!). But then... BAM! Ocean view. And suddenly, I stopped caring about how long it took. So, yeah, paradise-adjacent. Maybe. Definitely worth it.
The Pool. Tell me about the pool. Is it crowded with a million screaming kids, or...
Okay, the pool. This is a big one. Listen, I am NOT a fan of screaming kids. At all. My last vacation was ruined by a rogue water gun assault. BUT! The Mimi pool? Mostly chill, mostly adults. They have a separate kiddie pool, which, THANK GOD. The pool itself is gorgeous, infinity edge spilling into the turquoise water. There were... *some* kids, sure. But honestly, they were contained and happy. The poolside bar... now *that* is where the magic happens. Margaritas. All day. I may or may not have spent a solid three hours just... floating. Highly recommend floatation devices, btw. My rating? Pool: A+. Margarita situation: A++. Screaming kid factor: B-. Basically, a win.
Speaking of magic... What's the food like? Is it just generic resort slop?
Alright, so I'm a foodie. Like, REALLY into food. And I was prepared to be disappointed. Resort food can be... well, let's just say uninspired. But Mimi actually surprised me. The on-site restaurants? Decent. But listen up: the *beach club* restaurant? That's where you wanna be. Fresh seafood, killer ceviche, and the tacos… oh, the tacos. I ate tacos every single day. Don't judge me! They were THAT good. The breakfast buffet wasn't anything too exciting, but the fresh fruit was amazing. And honestly, after a few days of sunshine and margaritas, your standards kinda lower. But overall, seriously solid. I'd happily eat those tacos again right now. Wait… maybe I will.
Is it a long walk to the beach? And is the beach actually… good?
Okay, walk to the beach... not bad! Literally a stone's throw, which is awesome. You’re basically *on* the beach. And the beach itself? Listen, I have been to some CRAP beaches in my life. Rocky beaches, seaweed-infested beaches, beaches with way too many aggressive vendors offering to braid your hair. Mimi's beach? Glorious. Soft, white sand. Turquoise water that's actually *clear*. Gentle waves. I felt like I was in a movie. I'll confess, I spent a good chunk of my time there just... staring. I may or may not have built a small sandcastle. Don't judge! And yes, the beach vendors are there, but they weren't overly aggressive and a simple "no, gracias" worked wonders. Seriously, pack a beach bag, some sunscreen, and prepare for bliss.
What kind of activities are there? Do I have to do anything *active*?
Alright, active. My least favorite word. Look, there are activities if you *want* them. They have watersports, snorkeling, excursions to the Mayan ruins (which, I'll admit, is pretty cool. Even I was impressed). They also have yoga classes. But honestly? I spent most of my time just... existing. Reading a book. Drinking margaritas. Looking at the ocean. That *is* an activity, right? If you're like me, prioritize relaxation and taking in the atmosphere (including the sounds of the waves and the occasional seagull dive-bombing for french fries. Yes, that happened). If you do want to be active, they’ve got you covered. If not, find a hammock and embrace the sloth life. No judgment here.
Okay, be honest: What was the absolute BEST part? And what was... not-so-great?
Alright, brutally honest time. The BEST part? Oh, hands down, the sheer feeling of *being* there. The second the plane landed, it was like a weight lifted off my shoulders. Also, the margaritas. I mentioned those, right? And the beach. And the staff! Everyone was so friendly and helpful, even when I was struggling to understand some of the Spanish. The worst part? Hmmm... let me think. The check-in process, as previously mentioned, was a little slow. And the Wi-Fi in my room was a bit spotty. Like, I needed to drag myself to the lobby for insta-worthy pics. The struggle is real! But truly, those are tiny things. Like, *teeny* tiny. Overall, the good far outweighed the bad by a huge margin. I mean, I'm already planning my return.
Is it family-friendly, couple-friendly, or more of a party scene? Or all of the above?
Okay, this is important. Mimi Del Mar strikes a good balance. Families? Yes, they're there, especially during certain times of year. But the resort is big enough that you can easily find your own quiet corner. Couples? Absolutely. Romantic restaurants, beach walks at sunset... the works. Party scene? Well, it's not Cancun Spring Break, but there's definitely a lively vibe at the pool bar, especially in the evenings. So it's a little of everything, which is actually pretty great. You can choose your own adventure! Which, for me, involved a lot of beach, a lot of margaritas, and a whole lotta chilling. Highly customizable paradise.
So, you'd actually go back? Like, *really* go back?
OMG. Yes. Without hesitation. I'm already checking my calendar for next year. Honestly, I’Book a Stay

